AL RAYYAN, Qatar (Nov. 21, 2022) — The US Males’s Nationwide Group opened its 2022 FIFA World Cup marketing campaign with a 1-1 draw towards Wales on Monday night time at Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium. Tim Weah scored the USA’s objective within the thirty sixth minute after Christian Pulisic’s dynamic dribbling run and ideal go put him behind the protection, however Wales equalized on a late penalty kick from captain Gareth Bale within the 82n/a minute. Fourteen of 15 US gamers that noticed motion made their World Cup debuts towards the Crimson Dragons.
Weah’s objective got here throughout a powerful first-half displaying from the USA which dominated possession as Wales got here out in a low defensive block. The US stood up nicely towards a bodily and at instances bruising Welsh protection to earn an vital level in its World Cup opener.
With the draw, the US is tied for second place in Group B with Wales behind England, which defeated Iran 6-2 earlier at the moment. The USA will sq. off towards one of many match’s favorites England on Friday, Nov. 25 (2 pm ET; FOX, Telemundo). The highest two groups in every group advance to the knockout stage.
The US was on the entrance foot from the get-go, controlling the match with far more possession and super ball-winning – particularly within the midfield – as soon as that possession was misplaced. After just a few early appears on restarts, the USA twice practically netted the sport’s opening objective within the tenth minute. Welsh defender Joe Rodon virtually scored an personal objective as he tried to clear a harmful cross from Weah on the correct wing, and within the aftermath, Antonee Robinson performed to Sargent within the penalty field however his close-range header glanced off the skin of the left submit.
Content material to take a seat again, the Welsh hardly ever crossed the midfield stripe, however each of their early forays into US territory resulted in yellow playing cards after arduous tackles from Sergiño Dest and Weston McKennie within the eleventh and thirteenth minutes, respectively.
Enjoying a bodily, hard-nosed fashion, the Welsh protection proved powerful to interrupt down, however the US was affected person in possession. Just a few long-distance makes an attempt served as warning photographs as Dest ripped a shot over the crossbar within the twenty ninth and Weah simply could not get his foot on an extended ball into the field from Adams within the thirty fifth minute.
The US was lastly in a position to play by the well-organized Welsh protection within the thirty sixth minute. Because the ball bounced round in tight quarters close to the half line, middle ahead Josh Sargent was in a position to management the ball which then rolled into the trail of Pulisic. Driving up the center of the sphere, Pulisic then slid a go behind the Welsh protection for Weah, who made an inward diagonal run from the correct flank earlier than slotting his shot into the online with the skin of his proper foot because the goalkeeper and a Welsh defender closed in on him.
Issues opened up within the second half as Wales appeared to tally an equalizer. Pulisic and midfielder Yunus Musah mixed nicely on the left facet, however whilst play was end-to-end, the physicality continued with plenty of arduous fouls, particularly because the Welsh tried to comprise Pulisic.
In entrance of a sea of red-clad followers behind the US objective, Wales had plenty of harmful possibilities on free kicks and nook kicks, probably the most threatening coming within the sixty fourth minute. Within the aftermath of a free kick into the field, defender Ben Davies headed the ball on body, goalkeeper Matt Turner leapt to push it over the crossbar. On the following nook, ahead Kieffer Moore’s header flew simply over the crossbar.
Wales lastly discovered a solution within the 82nd minute, however it might come from the penalty spot. Throughout a flurry of exercise in the course of the field, a tough deal with from Walker Zimmerman on Bale noticed the referee instantly award the penalty kick and Bale hammered it house to attract the Dragons even.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN
USA – Tim Weah (Christian Pulisic), thirty sixth minute: After holding the overwhelming majority of possession all through the opening half, the USMNT lastly broke by the bodily Welsh protection when Josh Sargent managed a bouncing ball simply previous midfield. The ball rolled to the charging Pulisic and her burst into open area. He pushed the ball ahead, reducing previous a Welsh defender and slipping a go previous one other cluster of defenders to Weah, who slotted house a shot as Wales goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey and defender Neco Williams closed in on him. USA 1, WAL 0
WAL- Gareth Bale (Penalty Kick), 82nd minute: Within the midst of a harmful assault from the Welsh, Bale obtained the ball within the coronary heart of the field and was introduced down by defender Walker Zimmerman’s deal with from behind, leading to a penalty kick. Bale stepped as much as the spot and fired a robust strike to the correct, beating goalkeeper Matt Turner regardless of his dive to the right facet. USA 1, WAL 1
KEY SAVE AND DEFENSIVE STOPS
WAL – Wayne Hennessey, tenth minute: The USMNT’s first actual scoring likelihood got here from the pinnacle of Welsh defender Joe Rodon. On the run down the correct wing, ahead Tim Weah brough the ball down fantastically with a deft contact after which despatched a harmful cross into the field on the volley. As Rodon tried to clear, he despatched a header straight at Hennessey, who blocked the shot however was lucky that it was proper at him. Within the aftermath of the save, defender Antonee Robinson performed it again in to US ahead Josh Sargent however his header bounced off the left submit.
USA – Matt Turner, sixty fourth minute: As Wales threatened on plenty of restarts within the second half, Turner got here up massive to take care of the US lead. Following a free kick, defender Ben Davies despatched a well-hit header in direction of the center of the online, however Turner jumped to get a hand on the ball and push it over the bar.
- The USMNT is now 1-0-2 towards Wales all-time.
- All 11 beginning gamers made their FIFA World Cup debut.
- As we speak’s Beginning XI had a median age of 25 years, 102 days. It’s the fourth-youngest USMNT lineup at a FIFA World Cup, behind solely the three lineups at Italia ’90 the place the XIs averaged simply over 24 years previous.
- At 19 years, 358 days, Yunus Musah grew to become the youngest participant to begin a World Cup match for the USMNT.
- Musah (Valencia) can also be the primary participant from a Spanish Primera membership to play for the USA in a FIFA World Cup.
- Tyler Adams was elected by the USMNT because the crew captain for the 2022 FIFA World Cup and wore the armband for the tenth time tonight. At 23 years, 279 days, Adams is the youngest participant to captain the USA at a FIFA World Cup since 1950 and third youngest general. The USA is 4-1-5 in matches captained by Adams.
- Gregg Berhalter formally grew to become the primary particular person to each play and handle the USA at a FIFA World Cup. Berhalter appeared in each Knockout Spherical matches towards Mexico and Germany on the 2002 FIFA World Cup in Korea/Japan.
- Berhalter is 36-10-11 in 57 matches as USMNT head coach.
- Ten of at the moment’s 11 starters signify golf equipment in Europe – the best quantity ever for a USMNT World Cup lineup. Six gamers function in England, two in Italy, and one every in France and Spain. Walker Zimmerman was the lone starter from Main League Soccer.
- Matt Turner (Park Ridge, NJ) grew to become the fourth New Jersey-born goalkeeper to begin a World Cup match for the USMNT. He follows Jimmy Douglas (East Newark, NJ; 3 matches in 1930), Tony Meola (Belleville, NJ; 7 matches in 1990, 1994) and Tim Howard (North Brunswick, NJ; 8 matches in 2010, 2014).
- Defender Sergiño Dest (AC Milan) and midfielder Weston McKennie (Juventus), each the sons of US servicemen, are the second and third gamers based mostly in Italy’s Serie A to begin for the USA in a World Cup match. Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan) was the primary to do it when he performed two matches for the USA on the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
- Tim Weah grew to become the primary member of his household to look within the FIFA World Cup. The 22-year-old ahead is the son of 1995 Balon d’Or winner and present President of Liberia, George Weah.
- Striker Josh Sargent earned his first begin because the qualifier on Sept. 8, 2021, at Honduras.
- Veteran defender and Fulham captain Tim Ream earned his first USMNT look since Sept. 2, 2021, at El Salvador.
- The Fulham duo of Ream and Antonee Robinson are the third pair of foreign-based membership teammates to begin a World Cup match collectively for the USMNT. Beforehand, Chad Deering and Claudio Reyna (Wolfsburg) began collectively towards Germany on the 1998 World Cup, earlier than one other Fulham duo — Carlos Bocanegra and Brian McBride — had been within the lineup collectively towards Italy and Ghana on the 2006 version.
-US Males’s Nationwide Group Match Report-
Match: United States Males’s Nationwide Group vs. wales
Date: November 21, 2022
Competitors: 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar; Group B
coming: Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium; Al-Rayyan, Qatar
Kick off: 2 p.m. ET (10 p.m. native)
Climate: 70 levels, clear skies
Scoring Abstract: 1 2 F
USA 1 0 1
WAL 0 1 1
USA – Tim Weah (Christian Pulisic) thirty sixth minute
WAL – Gareth Bale (Penalty Kick) 82
USA: 1-Matt Turner; 2-Sergiño Dest (22-DeAndre Yedlin, 74), 3-Walker Zimmerman, 13-Tim Ream, 5-Antonee Robinson; 4-Tyler Adams (Capt.), 8-Weston McKennie (11-Brenden Aaronson, 66), 6-Yunus Musah (23-Kellyn Acosta, 75); 21-Tim Weah (16-Jordan Morris, 88), 24-Josh Sargent (19-Haji Wright, 74), 10-Christian Pulisic
Substitutes not used: 12-Ethan Horvath, 25-Sean Johnson, 7-Gio Reyna, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 14-Luca de la Torre, 15-Aaron Lengthy, 17-Cristian Roldan, 18-Shaq Moore, 20-Cameron Carter -Vickers, 26-Joe Scally
Head Coach: Gregg Berhalter
WAL: 1-Wayne Henessey; 5-Chris Mephan, 6-Joe Rodon, 4-Ben Davies; 14-Connor Roberts, 10-Aaron Ramsey, 15-Ethan Ampadu (16-Joe Morrell, 90+5), 8-Harry Wilson (22-Sorba Thomas, 90+3), 3-Neco Williams (9-Brennan Johnson, 79); 11-Gareth Bale (Capt.), 20-Daniel James (13-Kieffer Moore, 46)
Substitutes not used: 12-Danny Warth, 21-Adam Davies, 2-Chris Gunter, 7-Joe Allen, 17-Tom Lockyer, 18-Jonny Williams, 19-Mark Harris, 23-Dylan Levitt, 24-Ben Cavango, 25 -Ruben Colwill, 26 -Matt Smith
Head Coach: Rob Web page
Stats Abstract: USA / WAL
Pictures: 6 / 7
Pictures on Aim: 1 / 3
Saves: 2 / 1
Nook Kicks: 5 / 3
Fouls: 15 / 10
Offside: 1 / 1
USA – Sergiño Dest (Bail) eleventh minute
USA – Weston Mckennie (Board) 13
WAL – Gareth Bale (Bail) 40
WAL – Chris Mephan (Bail) 45+2
USA – Tim Ream (Bail) 51
USA – Kellyn Acosta (Board) 90+9
Referee: Abdulrahman Al Jassim (QAT)
Assistant Referee 1: Taleb Al Marri (QAT)
Assistant Referee 2: Saud Al Maqaleh (QAT)
4th Official: Ning Ma (CHN)
VAR: Abdulla Al Marri (QAT)
VAR Assistant: Redouane Jiyed (MAR)
Budweiser Man of the Match: Tyler Adams