NCAA TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND
PRINCETON (13-4, 7-0 Ivy League) vs. SYRACUSE (15-5, 3-3 Atlantic Coast Convention)
College of Maryland Area Hockey and Lacrosse Complicated • School Park, Md.
Friday, Nov. 11 • 2:30 p.m.
NCAA.com Dwell Video/Dwell Stats
In-game Princeton field hockey Twitter updates
Full Sport Notes
Again on Sept. 9, the Princeton discipline hockey workforce was 0-2, with two one-goal losses to groups that have been ranked within the prime 4. The Tigers have been looking at a brutal schedule from there, one which included seven of the highest 10 groups within the nation, together with the defending NCAA champs and two different 2021 Ultimate 4 groups.
For its dwelling opener, Princeton confronted Syracuse, a then-unbeaten workforce at 4-0 that got here in main Division I objectives per recreation to that time. The Tigers turned their season round that day, defeating the Orange 5-1.
That win began a season-ending 15-game stretch that noticed Princeton go 13-2 and energy by way of the Ivy League unbeaten at 7-0. Because of this Princeton is again within the NCAA match after a uncommon yr away from the match, and the duty now to increase its season is to as soon as once more defeat Syracuse.
The Orange season hardly ended with the Princeton loss. The Cuse completed its season 15-5, together with 3-3 within the brutal ACC. Syracuse obtained an at-large bid to the NCAA match.
Princeton vs. Syracuse
Again within the NCAA match
Princeton is again within the postseason after lacking out a yr in the past attributable to a penalty shot loss to Harvard and an RPI that fell simply in need of the final at-large bid. This yr’s look is this system’s twenty fifth within the NCAA match, and Princeton has made 9 Ultimate 4 appearances, most just lately in 2019. Princeton has additionally reached the ultimate 4 instances, successful as soon as, in 2012.
The final time Princeton failed to achieve the NCAA match in consecutive years was 1992 and 1993. The Tigers have performed 53 NCAA match video games of their historical past, with a report of 29-24. Princeton’s 29 NCAA wins rank sixth amongst all applications.
Sequence historical past
Princeton leads the all-time sequence towards Syracuse 13-10, together with the 5-1 win over the Orange in September. Princeton received the sport earlier than that between the 2, additionally by a 5-1 depend, within the 2019 NCAA match.
Previous to these two video games, Syracuse had defeated Princeton seven straight instances, together with a 2-0 Orange win in 2012 that was the Tigers’ solely loss throughout their 21-1 run to the NCAA championship.
Princeton is 3-2 all-time towards Syracuse within the NCAA match.
There are two video games within the first spherical that may match two groups ranked within the prime 10 in Division I in scoring offense. Each of these video games might be performed at Maryland.
The primary recreation matches the host Terps (second in scoring offense) and Liberty (fifth). After that, it will be Princeton (eighth) towards Syracuse (fourth).
Princeton averaged extra objectives per recreation out of the convention (3.3 per recreation) than in its league video games (2.86 per recreation).
The primary time
Princeton defeated Syracuse 5-1 on Sept. 9, however the Orange really outshot Princeton 21-14 for the sport. Wanting nearer, photographs have been 13-11 in Princeton’s favor within the first three quarters after which 10-1 in favor of Syracuse within the fourth.
Princeton scored all three objectives within the first half after which the ultimate two after Syracuse made it 3-1 halfway by way of the third. Princeton’s 5 objectives got here from 5 totally different gamers: Sammy Popper, Liz Agatucci, Ali McCarthy, sam davidson and Beth Yeager. Robyn Thompson made eight saves within the recreation.
The Syracuse objective was scored by Quirine Comans.
Princeton received the Ivy League championship for the 27th time. Each different Ivy League workforce mixed has received 25 Ivy titles.
Princeton’s 7-0 Ivy report implies that Princeton has now had 20 good Ivy League seasons. Each different Ivy workforce mixed has had 4.
• Princeton is 3-3 towards groups within the NCAA match discipline, having defeated Maryland, Syracuse and Delaware and having misplaced to Northwestern, Louisville and North Carolina.
• All 4 of Princeton’s losses this yr are by one objective.
• Princeton had 9 gamers earn All-Ivy League honors, together with each Ivy Gamers of the 12 months, with Hannah Davey the Defensive Participant of the 12 months and Beth Yeager the Offensive Participant of the 12 months. Davey, Yeager and Sammy Popper have been all first-team picks, with Gabby Andretta and Grace Schulze on second-team, Ophelie Bemelmans, Ali McCarthy and Robyn Thompson honorable point out and sam davidson Educational All-Ivy League.
• Princeton’s Carla Tagliente was named Ivy League Coach of the 12 months for the fourth time. Tagliente, and affiliate head coach Dina Rizzoeach received an NCAA championship as gamers at Maryland.
• Princeton is second in Division I in penalty corners per recreation, with 8.88, trailing solely Liberty (9.47).
• Princeton has eight seniors, all of whom are starters.
• Princeton has scored 30 objectives within the first and fourth quarters and 22 objectives within the second and third. Its opponents have scored 26 complete and haven’t reached double figures in any quarter.
• Princeton is 1-2 in time beyond regulation video games this season. Beth Yeager scored the game-winner within the OT win towards Maryland, and he or she now has three profession time beyond regulation objectives. Different present Princeton gamers with profession time beyond regulation objectives are Ali McCarthy (two), Sammy Popper (one) and Hannah Davey (one).
What are you able to say about? …
No.1 Robyn Thompson (Jr., G, Herne, England)
• Honorable Point out All-Ivy League
• began 16 of 17 video games (missed the Cornell recreation attributable to damage)
• had at the least eight saves in 5 video games after having a profession excessive of seven previous to this yr
• had a career-high 9 saves towards Penn
• made eight saves in wins over Syracuse, Maryland and Rutgers and in loss to Northwestern
• Ivy League Defensive Participant of the Week after wins over Syracuse and Rutgers
No.2 Claire Donovan (Sr., F, Unionville, Pa.)
• veteran ahead who began the final 14 video games
• has three objectives and two assists
No. 3 Phine Van Zijl (So., B, Rotterdam, the Netherlands)
• defender who has battled by way of accidents
• has performed in six video games, beginning one
No.4 Lily Webb (So., M, Wells, England)
• has one objective on the yr, the primary objective within the win over Yale
• has three profession objectives
No. 5 Ophelie Bemelmans (Sr., M, Riemst, Belgium)
• honorable point out All-Ivy League choice
• tied for the Ivy League lead with 11 assists
• has 22 profession assists
• is the one Princeton discipline hockey participant ever with at the least 20 profession assists with out a objective
No.6 Autumn Brown (Sr., B, Rudgwick, England)
• has began 16 of 17 video games, together with the final 15
• has 4 objectives from penalty corners, towards Rutgers, Cornell, Monmouth and Brown
No.7 Hannah Davey (Sr., B Derbyshire, England)
• Ivy League Defensive Participant of the 12 months
• first-team All-Ivy League choice for the third straight season
• second-team All-Ivy as a freshman
• has began each recreation
• has a objective and 5 assists along with enjoying protection
• began Princeton on solution to three-goal first quarter in 4-2 win over Harvard with a 50-yard move to Grace Schulze for first rating
No.8 sam davidson (Jr., B, North Andover, Mass.)
• workforce’s Educational All-Ivy League choice
• is third on the workforce in objectives regardless of enjoying protection
• is 7 for 7 on penalty strokes this season and 9 for 9 in his profession
No.9 Bridget Murphy (So., F, Summit, NJ)
• ahead who has performed in 12 video games
• has two profession objectives, towards Maryland and Penn a yr in the past
No.10 Ellie Manriquez (Jr., M, Cos Cob, Conn.)
• midfielder who has been injured nearly your complete season
No. 11 Helena Große (Fr., B, Berlin, Germany)
• defender who has began 5 video games
No.12 Gracie McGowan (Jr., B, Lake Forest, Unwell.)
• defender who has began 4 video games and performed in 15
• off the sphere is answerable for workforce social media
No.13 Grace Schulze (So., F, Greenwich, Conn.)
• second-team All-Ivy League choice
• has 5 objectives and 9 assists
• fifth within the Ivy League in each factors and assists
• had no objectives and two assists in first 9 video games of the yr
• has 5 objectives and 7 assists within the final eight video games
• Ivy League Participant of the Week after the wins over Yale and UConn, during which she scored two objectives and had three assists
No.15 Aimee Jungfer (So., M, Sydenham, Australia)
• had a objective towards Yale
No. 16 Sammy Popper (Sr., M, Blue Bell, Pa.)
• first-team All-Ivy League choice for the second time in her profession
• second on the workforce with 9 objectives and 20 factors
• fourth within the Ivy League in objectives and factors
No.17 Beth Yeager (So., M, Greenwich, Conn.)
• endorsed Ivy League Offensive Participant of the 12 months
• is the second Ivy League discipline hockey participant ever to win an Ivy Participant of the 12 months award as a freshman and sophomore
• unanimous first-team All-Ivy League choice for the second straight yr
• leads the Ivy League in objectives (12) and factors (32)
• had the time beyond regulation objective towards Maryland
• two-time Ivy Participant of the Week
• member of US nationwide workforce
No.18 Liz Agatucci (So., F, Chapel Hill, NC)
• ahead who has come off the bench in all 17 video games
• had objectives towards Syracuse and Yale
No. 19 Zoe Shephard (Sr., M, Cazenovia, NY)
• midfielder who has began each recreation
• has two objectives (towards UConn and Lafayette)
No.20 Talia Schenck (Fr., F, Lawrenceville, NJ)
• has two objectives and two assists
• began 5 video games
• had objectives towards Delaware and UConn and assists towards Syracuse and Columbia
No.21 Gabby Andretta (Sr., D, Harding, NJ)
• second-team All-Ivy League
• first-team All-Ivy League a yr in the past
• has began each recreation Princeton has performed in her 4 years
No.22 Ava Dempsey (Fr., M, Chester, England)
• has performed off the bench in 15 video games
• had an help towards Delaware
No.23 Clare Brennan (So., M, Summit, NJ)
• has performed in 10 video games
No.24 Ali McCarthy (Sr., F, Madison, NJ)
• Honorable Point out All-Ivy League
• first-team All-Ivy League a yr in the past
• missed 4 video games attributable to damage
• has three objectives and 5 assists
• objectives got here towards Louisville, Syracuse and Maryland
• had assists towards Syracuse, Delaware, Northwestern, Maryland and Harvard
No.25 Grace Anne McCooey (Fr., F, Rumson, NJ)
• performed in 4 video games
No.26 Ella Hampson (Fr., F, Cheshire, England)
• performed in 10 video games, beginning 5
• had a objective towards Monmouth and an help towards Yale
No.27 Ella Thorburn (Fr, G, Johannesburg, South Africa)
• performed in three video games as backup goalie with a 0.76 goals-against common and a .833 save proportion
• performed your complete recreation towards Cornell rather than injured Robyn Thompsonmaking three massive saves after permitting an early objective in key 2-1 Princeton win