No. 11/12 Tennessee (1-2) will meet Rutgers (3-1) in Imperial Enviornment on Paradise Island, Bahamas, at midday ET on Saturday within the first recreation of the 2022 Dangerous Boy Mowers Ladies’s Battle 4 Atlantis.
The Woman Vols enter the event having confronted three groups who participated within the 2022 NCAA Event, together with No. 14/15 Ohio State on the street (L, 87-75), UMass at dwelling (W, 74-65) and No. 12/11 Indiana at dwelling (L, 79-67).
Rutgers, in the meantime, enters at 3-1 after opening the 2022-23 marketing campaign with 4 straight dwelling contests in opposition to native foes and discovering early success with solely eight energetic gamers on its roster. RU’s newest win cam on Wednesday night time vs. NC Central, 66-45
This may mark the twenty fourth assembly between the Woman Volunteers and Scarlet Knights however first since 2014. UT’s Kellie Harper shall be going through UK for the primary time as a head coach.
Rutgers would be the third Huge Ten foe the Woman Vols have performed this season, getting into the match-up with an 80-17 file in opposition to the league after struggling losses to Ohio State and Indiana in video games one and three.
Tennessee is within the midst of a six-game campaign-opening gauntlet over a two-week interval. UT performed three video games within the first seven days of the season and now will start on a three-games-in-three-days stretch within the B4A tourney, adopted by a two-in-three-day run at dwelling on Nov. 25 (Colorado) and 27 (Japanese Kentucky).
- FloHoops will stream the Tennessee vs. Rutgers contest, with Jill Painter Lopez (PxP), Isis Younger (Analyst) and Dani Wexelman (Reporter) on the decision for video games on the Ladies’s Battle 4 Atlantis.
- The competition additionally may be heard on Woman Vol Community radio stations and by audio stream, with Voice of the Woman Vols Brian Rice in his first season behind the mic. He shall be joined by studio host Andy Brock.
- A hyperlink to the stay audio stream may be discovered on every recreation’s Hoops Central web page or the Woman Vol schedule on UTSports.com.
- For a listing of Woman Vol Community associates, please click on on the Followers tab on the high of UTSports.com, choose Vol Community after which click on on the Vol Community Associates tab.
- Air time for video games on the Woman Vol Radio Community usually happens half-hour previous to tip-off.
- Rutgers assistant coach Nikki McCray-Penson performed her faculty basketball at Tennessee beneath the late, legendary Woman Vols head coach, Pat Summitt.
- McCray averaged 12.4 ppg. and 5.3 rpg. throughout her time in Knoxville, incomes KODAK All-America and SEC Participant of the Yr honors in 1994 and 1995, and happening to win gold medals for the US on the 1996 and 2000 Olympic Video games.
- Woman Vols head coach Kellie Harperwho performed at Tennessee from 1995-99 and received three NCAA titles as some extent guard, simply missed being McCray’s teammate at UT by one season.
- Previous to her arrival at Rutgers, McCray-Penson was head coach at Mississippi State, the place she coached present Tennessee standout Rickea Jackson throughout the 2020-21 marketing campaign.
- Woman Vol freshman Justine Pissot hails from Toms River, NJ, and prepped at Pink Financial institution Catholic Excessive Faculty, which is about 30 miles southeast of the Rutgers campus.
- UT-guard Jasmine Powellwho transferred from Minnesota previous to this season, will face yet one more former Huge Ten foe.
- Powell performed in opposition to Rutgers in every of her three seasons for the Gophers, posting a pair of double-figure scoring efforts.
- On Jan. 6, 2022, Powell had 19 factors, 5 assists, 4 rebounds and a steal vs. the Scarlet Knights in 37 minutes. She hit 4 of 9 photographs from the sphere, together with a 2-of-2 effort past the arc, and a 9-of-11 efficiency on the free-throw line.
- Powell additionally had 19 factors together with 5 rebounds and 4 assists in 47 minutes in a Feb. 2, 2020, extra time contest, going 10 of 10 from the charity stripe.
- The winner between UT and RU will meet the victor of UCLA and South Dakota State at midday on Sunday. The losers of the first-round video games will meet at 5 pm on Sunday.
- The decrease half of the bracket options first-round match-ups between No. 3/3 Texas and Marquette at 5 pm on Saturday and No. 7/5 Louisville vs. Gonzaga at 7:30 pm on Saturday.
- Sunday contests are additionally on FloHoops. Winners bracket video games on Monday are on linear TV, together with the championship recreation at midday on ESPN and the third-place contest at 2:30 pm on ESPNU. Kevin Fitzgerald and Carolyn Peck are on the decision for these broadcasts.
First Time At B4A, Third Time In The Bahamas
- This may mark the Woman Vols’ first look on the Battle 4 Atlantis, however will probably be their third journey to The Bahamas.
- They will be visiting their third completely different island, having twice participated within the Junkanoo Jam Event on two different isles.
- In 2013-14, the Tennessee girls went 2-0 and received the Lucaya Division on the Junkanoo Jam in Freeport on Grand Bahama Island.
- UT defeated Virginia, 76-67, and SMU, 87-47, in Freeport.
- In 2018-19, the Woman Vols traveled to Resorts World Bimini and received each video games there to seize the Junkanoo Division crown on the Junkanoo Jam.
- In Bimini, the Huge Orange turned again Clemson, 78-66, and UAB, 73-69 in extra time.
- Tennessee is making its fourth in-season journey exterior the US and sixth worldwide tour throughout the previous 10 years, holding a 13-0 mark on international soil soil throughout that stretch, together with 7-0 in video games that depend towards season information.
- This may mark this system’s tenth all-time worldwide tour, and UT is 24-7 on international soil.
- This would be the Woman Vols’ first journey exterior the nation since going to The Netherlands, Belgium and France in August 2019 previous to Kellie Harper‘s first season at Rocky High. Seniors Jordan Horston, Tamari Key and Jessie Rennie had simply arrived at Tennessee.
- The B4A shall be UT’s first in-season worldwide journey because the 2018 Junkanoo Jam in Bimini, Bahamas.
- UT has been to Freeport, Bahamas/2013 Junkanoo Jam (2-0); Cancun, Mexico/2017 Cancun Problem (3-0); Bimini, Bahamas/2019 Junkanoo Jam (2-0); and now Paradise Island, Bahamas/2022 Battle 4 Atlantis for NCAA countable competitors.
- International Excursions and information embody Brazil in June 1987 (1-4), England in January 1992 (2-1), Belgium/France/Switzerland in August 1999 (5-0), Italy/Greece in August 2003 (3-2) , Italy in 2015 (3-0) and The Netherlands/Belgium/France in 2019 (3-0).
- Not counting in these totals are journeys to US territory tournaments in San Juan, Puerto Rico/San Juan Shootout in November-December 2002 (3-0); and two appearances in St. Thomas, USVI/Paradise Jam in Nov. 2005 (3-0) and Nov. 2010 (2-1).
Trying Again At The Indiana Recreation
- Regardless of a double-double from Jasmine Powell and three 14-plus-point scorers, the No. 11/4 Tennessee Woman Volunteers fell to No. 12/11 Indiana, 79-67, Monday night time at Thompson-Boling Enviornment.
- Powell turned in a powerful night time in simply her second recreation performed on The Summitt, ending with 16 factors, 10 rebounds and 4 assists. It marks simply the second profession double-double for the senior switch from Minnesota. The guard was the Woman Vols’ main scorer within the first half, sinking 11 factors on 3-of-6 on 3-pointers.
- Tennessee’s main scorer was Rickea Jackson, who posted 17 factors on 6-of-14 capturing and 2-of-3 marksmanship from downtown. She additionally made all three free throw makes an attempt within the recreation and was complimented by stable paint play from Tamari Key, who additionally completed in double figures in scoring with 14 factors. Key was good from the ground, changing all 4 layup tries within the recreation for the Huge Orange (1-2).
- Indiana (3-0) received the sport with a balanced assault, having 5 completely different double-digit scorers, led by Sara Scalia and Mackenzie Holmes who each completed with 16. Holmes and Grace Berger each carded IU’s first double-doubles of the season, as they each logged 10 boards. Berger completed with 13 factors in her seventh profession double-double, whereas Holmes is the staff chief within the class with 12.
Tess For Three (Instances Three)
- Junior Tess Darby has hit three 3-pointers in three straight video games, the longest streak in her Woman Vol profession, and is averaging 9.0 factors per contest getting into the Battle 4 Atlantis.
- Darby is connecting on 47.4 p.c of her tries past the arc.
Powell Pops Off
- Senior Jasmine Powell posted 16 factors and 10 rebounds, notching the second double-double of her profession and her first as a Woman Vol.
- Powell ranks second on the staff in scoring at 13.0 per contest.
Transfers Standing Out
- Transfers Rickea Jackson and Jasmine Powell have shined within the inaugural contests of the season.
- Jackson has amassed 50 factors and 23 rebounds by three video games, whereas Powell has recorded 39 factors and 15 rebounds.
- Jackson leads the Woman Vols at 16.7 ppg. and is second in rebounding at 7.7 rpg., whereas Powell is correct behind Jackson in scoring at 13.0 ppg. and paces the squad at 5.0 assists per outing.
A Look At Rutgers
- Within the first season beneath head coach Coquese Washington, Rutgers encompasses a roster of solely eight gamers but it has solid a 4-0 begin.
- This system was 11-20 total and 3-14 within the Huge Ten in 2021-22, but it surely did make an NCAA look in 2021.
- No starters and solely three letterwinners returned from final season.
- Kassondra Brown, Awa Sidibe, Erica Lafayette and Chyna Cornwell have all been double-figure scorers for the Scarlet Knights in 2022-23.
- UK hit 20 of 21 charge throws vs. NJIT on Nov. 13.
- That is the twenty third assembly between these faculties, courting again to March 16, 1979.
- The Woman Vols carry a 10-game collection profitable streak into the competition
- House courtroom has been essential on this rivalry, with Tennessee sustaining an ideal 7-0 mark in entrance of its followers whereas standing simply 4-3 on the street.
- UT is 9-0 in impartial website video games vs. UK.
- The final time these squads met, on Dec. 14, 2014, The No. 11/13 Woman Vols dealt with a No. 17/19 Rutgers unit, 55-45, in Piscataway, NJ
- In all of Pat Summitt’s video games as head coach at Tennessee, none of her Woman Vol groups had mounted the sort of comeback they original at Rutgers on Jan. 3, 2009. Tennessee trailed 33-13 on the half. The 13 factors have been the fewest ever scored by the Woman Vols within the first 20 minutes of a recreation. Moreover, the 20-point halftime deficit was the biggest in class historical past. Rutgers led by as many as 23 factors earlier than UT rallied for the 55-51 win.
- UT is 80-17 vs. faculties at the moment within the Huge 10 after dropping contests to Ohio State and Indiana this season.